Every fall, The National Safety Council announces OSHA’s Top 10 Most Commonly Cited Violations for the year. This updated list was published in early October of 2023 during the 2023 NSC Safety Congress & Expo, the world’s largest annual gathering of safety professionals.
Fall Protection (1926.501) remains at the top of the list for the 13th year in a row.
This year however, Hazard Communication topped Respiratory Protection, moving up from 5th place in 2021.
1. Fall Protection – General Requirements (1926.501): 5,260 violations
2. Hazard Communication (1910.1200): 2,424
3. Respiratory Protection (1910.134): 2,185
4. Ladders (1926.1053): 2,143
5. Scaffolding (1926.451): 2,058
6. Lockout/Tagout (1910.147): 1,977
7. Powered Industrial Trucks (1910.178): 1,749
8. Fall Protection – Training Requirements (1926.503): 1,556
9. Personal Protective and Lifesaving Equipment – Eye and Face Protection (1926.102): 1,401
10. Machine Guarding (1910.212): 1,370
More Progress Must Be Made
“Although incredible advancements are made in safety each year, we continue to see many of the same types of violations appear on OSHA’s Top 10 list,” NSC President and CEO Lorraine M. Martin said. “As a safety community, we must come together to acknowledge these persistent trends and identify solutions to better protect workers.”
Compliance Consultants, Inc. recommends that you use this list to guide you in your decisions regarding safety. If you know your employees are exposed to these kinds of hazards and your programs/processes are not current, please contact us and we can help you.
Contact Us today to set up a free consultation to identify the areas you can improve upon when it comes to keeping your employees safe.